Re: procmail on a relay

2000-08-17 10:34:50
Does anybody know of a way to use procmail's functionality on a mail
relay with no local delivery?  Our mail comes into a sendmail machine,
which then relays it to our internal Exchange machines.  I'd like to
use procmail on the sendmail machine to fight spam and virii.

I've been working on something to do this, but time isn't on my side.
But here's the general idea...

1.  Tell sendmail to add an Envelope-To: header.

    In your sendmail.cf, add

       HX-Envelope-To: $u

2.  Tell sendmail to "deliver" all incoming messages to user 'unknown'.

    Kuser user -m -a<>
    DLlocal:unknown

    # send unrecognized local users to a relay host
    # replace [tab] with real tab characters
    R< > $+[tab]$: < $L . > $( user $1 $)  look up user
    R< $* > $+ <> $*[tab]$: < > $2 $3         found; strip $L
    R< $* . > $+[tab]$: < $1 > $2         strip extra dot

3.  Create an alias for user 'unknown' that:

    checks for spam, etc. and rejects if necessary
    if everything passes, sends it on to the real server using the
       address supplied in X-Envelope-To:

I've been wanting to work on this for a while.  Maybe after this weekend
I can get to it and report back.

Chris

If anyone has any tips or tricks, they would be appreciated.

--
Rob Bringman

The views expressed are their own and do
not necessarily reflect those of the author.