Re: Procmail and Maildir/

2000-08-23 19:47:05
Hi!

Quoting guenther+procmail(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu:

Version 3.15pre (and 3.15 when it comes out, soon) will continue
to use
the form:
      _<encoded pid>X<encoded time>.hostname
                    ^
                    \ this is one of the four characters .,+%

Hmm... any idea why is procmail sticking to this format instead of the
<time.pid.hostame> format?

I noticed that some IMAPd servers are sticking to the <time.pid.hostname>
format. I was trying out UW-IMAPD+Maildir and also Courier IMAPd and they
used the <time.pid.hostname> format when storing emails into folders.

Have you talked with the person who wrote the pine maildir
patches
about this?  Maildir clients are not _supposed_ to parse or
interpret
the filename of the messages themselves.

I have emailed to david(_at_)summersoft(_dot_)fay(_dot_)ar(_dot_)us found at
http://www.davideous.com/imap-maildir/distrib/imap-4.7 a few weeks ago
but didn't hear from him. There were also some other issues with the UW
IMAPd+Maildir other than the emails appearing in the wrong sequence. For
one, if my Maildir is NFS mounted, the emails won't get moved from the
new directory to the cur directory until AFTER a POP or IMAP check is
made. So for a person to see his/her email, he will have to check TWICE.

So I switched over to using courier-imapd v0.99 instead and all is well
till date expect for the fact that when I used Pine 4.21 to access my
INBOX via IMAP, I get an unsorted mailbox.

But after I implemented your maildir program, all appears well now in
Pine.

Thanks for all your valuable advice and assistance!