Re: fetchmail / putmail??

2000-09-13 09:57:40
Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
What I was wondering is about the opposite direction. How can I as
easily send an email via smtp of the corresponding pop box?

You probably can't, I mean in the general case you probably can't.
Because of spammers, many ISPs' SMTP servers accept "outbound" mail
only from IP addresses in their own domains.  Does that make sense?
Say I have POP mailboxes on SSS.net, GGG.com, HHH.com.  I can fetch
email from those POP mailboxes because I give a password.  Now suppose
I'm connected via HHH.com's cable modem and have one of their IP
addresses.  SMTP connects to SSS.net's SMTP server and says:

   MAIL FROM: sssusername(_at_)SSS(_dot_)net
   RCPT TO: somebody(_at_)aol(_dot_)com            # for example

SSS.net responds with "relaying denied" or some such and sendmail
barfs.  Okay, so I have to connect to HHH.com's SMTP server in order
to get anything out.  Now if sendmail (or some other MTA) connects to
HHH.com's SMTP server and says:

   MAIL FROM: sssusername(_at_)SSS(_dot_)net

then the rest of the mail gets tossed (found out the hard way).

                                                            I mean I
have a pile of pop boxes, but how do I send email through their smtp
servers. I can't believe I am the first wanting to do this.

Surely sendmail can do it, but is there anything better? I really don't
want to spend a week reading sendmail docs. Something like

  somecommand < email -via smtp.someplace.net

would be ideal (I don't care if the mail doesn't go into any send
queue first). Similar to a recipe action "| $SENDMAIL $SENDMAILFLAGS -t".

If your SMTP relay will accept mail from your then-current IP address,
you don't need to read a lot of sendmail docs.  Just edit
/etc/sendmail.cf and replace the line that looks like

DS

with

DSsmtp.server.you.want.to.relay.through

then restart sendmail.  You may need to enable masquerading, and
genericstable and/or user-database configuration may be required.  But
maybe you can get away with just doing the "DS" thing in your
sendmail.cf ...
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.  Sorry.