locking problems

2000-09-13 00:28:32
Hi all,

I've had some interesting problems lately which I think are due to
locking. I use one of two methods [shown below] to make a copy of list
mail, and place another copy into a file that I use to read with pine.

I've been noticing lately that I've been 'missing' e.mail. I get a copy in
my gzipped archive, but not in the folder or my main mail spool as I
usually do. I do my mailing list recipes like this [not sure which one is
the better way to do them]:

:0cw:
* $^TOfusion-list(_at_)cullasaja(_dot_)com
|gzip -fc >> $ARC/fusion.list.gz

        :aw: # do i need a 'w' here?
        $INCOMING/fusion-list

:0c: # do i need a 'w' here?
* $^TOthebox-digest(_at_)cullasaja(_dot_)com
$INCOMING/thebox-d

        :aw:
        |gzip -fc >> $ARC/thebox-d.list.gz

I also make a copy of all incoming mail addressed to vjl@ and that is
where I started noticing that mail wasn't showing up in pine though a copy
was in my gzipped archive:

 :0c:  # c-flag means clone a copy
 * $^TOvjl
 |gzip -fc >> $INCOMING/iboxback.gz

I have since added a 'w' in the iboxback recipe so that gzip doesn't step
on itself. What is weird is that procmail shows that it did write to both
places, but in the following case, I never got the message in
/usr/spool/mail/vjl: