Re: locking problems

2000-09-13 16:32:05
On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Vince LaMonica wrote:
I've been noticing lately that I've been 'missing' e.mail. I get a copy in
my gzipped archive, but not in the folder or my main mail spool as I
usually do. I do my mailing list recipes like this [not sure which one is
the better way to do them]:

Well, they look to me like they "should" work, but if you don't mind a
brute-force method of testing (Do these problems occur every night?)
then a really crude thing to do might be to add

    LOCKFILE=dumb.global.lockfile

immediately before the first recipe.  Yeah, it's ugly, but ...

Hey, email does get delivered to only one machine, correct?  I mean,
your ISP doesn't have load-balancing servers all trying to dump mail
onto NFS-mounted spools, do they?  Are any of your folders (or mail
spool) NFS mounted?

Another question: What locking strategies was your procmail compiled
with?  (procmail -v | grep Locking )

Another thing to try if you really don't like the global thing for the
whole file, is to do this...

    LOCKFILE=fusion.lock                    # global lockfile
    :0cw                                    # no local lockfile
    * $^TOfusion-list(_at_)cullasaja(_dot_)com
    |gzip -fc >> $ARC/fusion.list.gz

            :0a   # do i need a 'w' here?   # No. No local lockfile either
            $INCOMING/fusion-list

    LOCKFILE=thebox.lock                    # unlock fusion.lock

    :0c # do i need a 'w' here?             # no 'w', no local lockfile
    * $^TOthebox-digest(_at_)cullasaja(_dot_)com
    $INCOMING/thebox-d

            :0aw
            |gzip -fc >> $ARC/thebox-d.list.gz

    LOCKFILE                                # if the above is all that
                                            # needs locking

Is that too ugly?  I'm not sure comments are allowed everywhere I've
put 'em though.

HTH,
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.  Sorry.