"$" harmlessness / comment safety (was locking problems)

2000-09-13 19:46:13
Vince wrote,

L> I use * $^TO since most of my recipes are very heavy with vars, and I'd
L> like to make sure I don't make an error when I switch a recipe from a
L> value-based ^TO to a var-based one. Besides, there's no harm in having the
L> $ there even if there's no var on the line.

In those particular cases, no, there was no harm.  But if you have dollar
signs that represent newlines or literal dollar signs, if you have
backslashes, or if you have backquotes, the "$" modifier does make a
difference.  There *can* be harm.

Collin wrote,

P> I'm not sure comments are allowed everywhere I've put 'em though.

They were fine where you had them, Collin.  The places not to put comments are
these:

1. on the same line as a regexp condition;
2. inside quotes (strong or weak) unless you want them in the text; and
3. in earlier versions of procmail, on lines by themselves in the middle
   of a recipe.

In more recent versions, #3 is not a problem.