Re: lists on egroups.com

2000-09-17 21:39:38
At 20:16 2000-09-17 -0700, Dave Robbins wrote:
I got put on at least two lists on egroups.com without my approval
and certainly no action on my part.  The list admin appears to funnell

You're not on the egroups list, you're on the cuy.net list. As far as eGroups is concerned, some address at cuy.net (dads(_at_)cuy(_dot_)net to be specific) is the subscriber -- if you attempted to reply to one of these messages to the egroups list address, it would no doubt bounce it as a "nonmember submission".

and notify(_at_)egroups(_dot_)com without any action or response on their part.

Try abuse(_at_)egroups(_dot_)com

  :0
   * ^Subject.*fathers-issues*
   !dads-approval(_at_)cuy(_dot_)net

The average looser isn't going to know why they're getting a copy of the message - unless they examine headers, they'll never know it came through your account at all. The approval address is probably NOT the best choice, unless you actually believe there's a human there managing the approval process, rather than a bot, which may simply be discarding your messages because they don't meet some special syntax.

The trailing '*' is unnecessary in your regexp.

The recipes use the subject line because other headers didn't work.

Then you were doing something wrong.

Sender: owner-dads(_at_)cuy(_dot_)net

THIS is the header you should be homing in on.

Looking at the headers, the ACTUAL list is on egroups, but the person at cuy.net is relaying them for their own resend list.

I don't follow egroups and how they do things, but I'd wager that if you extracted this address from each message, and redirected the message there, the dads list wouldn't get much traffic from egroups quick:

:0
* ^Sender:[     ]owner-dads(_at_)cuy\(_dot_)net
!$MATCH

or

:0
* ^Sender:[     ]owner-dads(_at_)cuy\(_dot_)net
| ( $FORMAIL -r -I"Subject: unsubscribe this relay!" \
   -I"To: $MATCH" -I"Bcc: abuse(_at_)egroups(_dot_)com" ;\
   cat $AUTOREPLY/relay.msg ) | $SENDMAIL -t

$AUTOREPLY points to a dir where you put the message text (edit the relay.msg file to contain something meaningful, like the listaddress of the cuy.net relay and how it is you never subscribed to either list), set $SENDMAIL and $FORMAIL to the sendmail and formail programs (if in the path, just the program names will suffice).

This particular rule will also ensure that abuse(_at_)egroups(_dot_)com will recieve a copy of your plea (remove that -I"Bcc: abuse(_at_)egroups(_dot_)com" if you don't want this to happen). If you wanted to be nasty, you could set Reply-To to the abuse address as well, or to the listowner address for the list at egroups (who you might include on the BCC as too), or even to the relay admin (owner-dads(_at_)cuy(_dot_)net), since abuse is no doubt going to generate autoreplies. I think as it stands, it should be a reasonable plea for help, and should trigger automated systems to unsub the account in short order.

Alternatley, you should be able to send an unsubscribe request to egroups in the name of the relay list, and if it relays EVERYTHING it gets, the "please acknowledge this action" message should come through pronto, so which you could reply (to the egroups address), effectively chopping him out of the loop. If you do this, it'd be a good idea to perform the entire process from some throwaway webmail account, rather than the account which is being abused, so if the relay idiot decides to take action, he won't know who to lash out against.

With the above recipe in place, when one of these messages comes through, procmail should generate a message to send to what is in effect the "golly, this address is bouncing an awful lot" address at egroups (or so I surmise that's what that address should be for, though it isn't a standard header -- I expec they might normally look to search potentially nonstandard bounces for this element). A sufficient number of messages later, and it should probably be auto unsubscribed by some mechanism at eGroups.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395