Re: Local setup for procmail?

2000-09-22 10:02:39
Gijun Lee asked,

| I don't have the root privilege. The server I am going to work on does not
| have Procmail installed. So, I installed procmail in my local directory.
| Like $HOME/bin. Also, I created .forward and .procmailrc. But procmail does
| not work. When I looked up the procmail documentation, the procmail files
| need to have 's' permission to run okay.

No, they don't.  Something must have been misleading if you found that in
official procmail documentation.  If you found it on some procmail user's
web site, well, then possibly it was just a mistake on his or her part.

| But I wonder if procmail run correctly without 's' permission.

As long as procmail is called from .forward or from a shell and not as the
LDA, it does not need to be setuid (unless you want other users to feed mail
directly to your copy of the procmail binary for delivery to you instead of
simply sending you email, and that doesn't work under some OSes anyway).