Re: Ping responder

2000-09-26 08:52:01
At 14:31 2000-09-26 +0300, Vyacheslav Zakharov wrote:

:0 fh

Why are you using the filter flag (f) ? This appears to be a final delivery (since you pipe it out to sendmail)

* $^To:.*${LOGNAME}

Remove braces from variable names (this applies to the delivery recipe as well). Look at some examples from 'man procmailex'

* ^Subject: ping$

space+tab, to account for different MUA styles:

BTW, the formail invocation below should inject an "Re:" in front of the subject, so what was your problem again?

Should have a specific address in here (as you set it below).

  echo Sample ping responder \

why not just change the subject line to something appropriate?

everybody know what is X-Loop header for. but when i am going to send a
reply to a responder message i can see that X-Loop header doesn't include
into my reply. thus the * !^X-Loop: checking is completely useless.

Apparently not everybody know what the X-Loop header for.

You don't just check for "x-loop", you check for a specific content - like ping(_dot_)robot(_at_)my(_dot_)domain(_dot_) This is there to avoid server-level autoreplies, redirects/remote forwards, and some bounces (though DAEMON and MAILER are intended to catch most of those).

Arguably, if you don't want to be replying to certain other (presubably bots and some small lists) inquiries, you could check for X-Loop as a generic header, but this isn't what it was intended for.

i checked it both with my mutt-1.2.5 and microsoft outlook express 4.

If someone actually REPLIES to your message, then there was presumably human intervention. If someone continues to reply repeatedly, it's not a whole lot different than them being idiotic enought to queue several hundred fresh requests instead, none of which would have been replies through your server.

I'm well aware that many MUAs (at least in the Windows environ) support auto-replies - rules by which the app may queue a reply/forward/redirect based on incoming messages.

i suspect that this problem occures on other mua's.

This is not a "problem".  Works as designed.

what should i add into my recipe to avoid this?

You could take a look at some vacation recipes and build yourself a datafile of email addresses to whom you have sent such ping responses, and if an address appears in the file (you grep it), then you don't autoreply to it. Periodically (under a cron, or possibly using a script that gets invoked on certain new mail), you delete the datafile. Could be daily, or hourly, or whatever (hourly should be sufficient to bin loops that might come from MUA autoreplies).

It all depends on the perceived threat, and how much effort you want to put into dealing with braindead, uh, I mean, IQ-challenged, users.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395