Re: Ping responder

2000-09-27 02:13:21
On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 10:12:25AM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Vyachelsav wrote,

[skipped]

First I want to be sure I understand the problem.

The ping responder's outgoing message has the X-Loop: header, right?  So the
problem of a loop if someone writes to the ping responder and gives the
responder's own address in Reply-To: is prevented by the X-Loop: header.
That's what the X-Loop: header is supposed to do, to keep a daemon from
looping if it is tricked or miscoded into writing to itself.  If the ping
responder writes to itself, it sees the X-Loop: header and doesn't answer
itself.  (I'd also recommend including a "Precedence: bulk" header in the
ping responses.)

Ok. The X-Loop: header is intended for preventing replying the autoresponder
script to itself and nothing more, right?
One more question. Should I check just X-Loop: header occurance or its
specific content too? For example, X-Loop: ping(_dot_)robot(_at_)my(_dot_)domain

As I understand your post, Vyacheslav, that part works properly.  Something
else is the problem: you write to the ping responder, it sends you the ping
data, and for some reason you want to reply to its message.  When you start
to compose that reply, your MUA does not copy the X-Loop: header from the
ping response message.  Well, no, it wouldn't.  But since your subject then

Why it wouldn't? Because it is a custom-added header?

will be "Re: ping" and not just "ping," it shouldn't cause a loop.  If the
person using the responder takes the trouble to take "Re:" out of the default
subject, the person must want to get another ping response, so just let it
happen.

Not quite right. The matter is I don't want to be bombed by so-called
hackers that will send a bunch of ping requests in short amount of time.

But I've already dealt with this problem. Pinging is a password-protected
and I am using '${FORMAIL} -D 16384 ${HOME}/help.cache' to analyze whether
to send or not a ping request's help file.

---
Can't Rain All the Time