Re: INCLUDERC's vs Monolithic .procmailrc's

2000-09-26 20:34:39
Colin wrote,

| So David, if I understand what you're saying, it's a user
| preference thing unless there was truly *massive* load on the server?

That, or unless there's a chunk of code that's called repeatedly, iterative-
ly, or recursively.  I suppose that the only difference in coding iteration
from coding recursion is that an iterative INCLUDERC would repeat itself with

  SWITCHRC = $_

while a recursive one would reinvoke itself with

  INCLUDERC = $_

In either case, there would need to be some conditional test whether to take
another pass through the code in there or to return to the rcfile from which
it was called.

Recursion depth is limited by the number of file descriptors the OS allows
a process to have open at once, and if it exceeds that number procmail will
abort without delivery; iteration, though, could get into a loop and procmail
would happily spin in place until killed.