Re: INCLUDERC's vs Monolithic .procmailrc's

2000-09-27 09:24:01
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Colin J. Raven wrote:

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:23:07 -0400
From: Colin J. Raven <cjraven(_at_)ddf-lab(_dot_)com>
To: procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: INCLUDERC's vs Monolithic .procmailrc's

Hi Gang!
Can anyone comment on the reasons one should/should not use a single
"monolithic" .procmailrc as opposed to one .procmailrc *plus* several
"INCLUDERC" files?
For example, I see Jari's procmailrc (which is mindbending BTW) and one
gigantic file
I use INCLUDERC's because I don't (yet) understand where certain recipes
should live in a monolithic evironment, so to avoid breaking stuff I put
autoresponders in one, /dev/nulls in another and so on. Other than that, I
wondered if anyone had a more formal explanation for this approach.
Regards to all,

It is mostly preferential.  I do it for organizational purposes
myself.  The top level procmailrc file looks nice and clean, and
is easy to see the order the various included rc's will get
invoked in.  Then each included rc is fairly specific, containing
very similar rules for a specific purpose such as
"pm-redhatlists", "pm-friends", "pm-mailinglists",
"pm-junkfilter", "pm-htmlidiots", "pm-dupefilter"
"pm-unreadable-foreignencodings", etc..

It is more modular this way, and also easy to send someone a
single file to illustrate a rule.  Then they can just drop it in
with an include directive.  The modularity concept is no
different from modularity with anything else really.

--
         Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open source advocate
                   Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

[Mike A. Harris Linux tip #1 - 50 line mode]
Is the 80x25 line screen too small for you?  If you want more screen real
estate, you can set 50 column mode by editing your /etc/lilo.conf file, and
adding a new line with "vga=ext" to the global section near the top.  Save
and exit, then run "lilo".  Next time you boot, you'll have a nice big 80x50
screen.