Re: procmail alternatives?

2000-10-07 20:53:31
On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 11:51:03AM -0700, reklar Last Name wrote:

   > >  I'd also be interested in hearing about an alternative.
   > >  Some sys admins setup sendmail so that it is not possible
   > >  to spawn processes such as procmail.  In that case I'd
   > >  like to know if there is a way to use pine and have some
   > >  addon program or script which would be able effectively
   > >  filter mail.
   >
   > From the procmail man page:-
   >
   >        Instead of using the system provided invocation  of  proc-
   >        mail  when mail arrives, you can control the invocation of
   >        procmail yourself.  In this case your $HOME/.forward  (be-
   >        ware, it has to be world readable) file should contain the
   >        line below.  Be sure to  include  the  single  and  double
   >        quotes,  and unless you know your site to be running smrsh
   >        (the SendMail Restricted SHell), it must  be  an  absolute
   >        path.
   >
   >        "|exec /usr/bin/procmail"
   >
   > Thus if you compile yourself a copy of procmail and invoke it as
   > above it will appear to work exactly the same as when procmail is
   > invoked directly from sendmail.
   >
   > --
   > Chris Green

   Uh, right.  The problem is that you can configure sendmail to
   only allow certain processes to be invoked period.  If
   pathname/procmail isn't one of those allowed processes, (and
   it isn't in my case) this won't work.   For instance our sys admin
   only allows mail to be forwarded to a mailbox...

   |exec process

   in the .forward won't work for any process...

   peace,

   joe.