Re: procmail alternatives?

2000-10-06 20:27:00
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Irvine" <mirvine(_at_)compsoc(_dot_)com>
To: <procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE>
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 12:06 AM
Subject: procmail alternatives?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about alternatives to procmail for
mail filtering. I use procmail at home, but at my office procmail is not
available (and I cannot get it installed). The only mail program I can
find is the standard unix mail program.

Could I use perl of formail without procmail?

I have been using Perl as delivery agent for a long time now. I integrated
Perl like this:

Msmtp, P= /usr/bin/perl, F=DFMuX, S=11/31, R=21, E=\r\n, L=990, M=1572864,
       T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP,
       A=perl /admin/smtp-control.pl $u $f $r $s $t $i

And I love it. :) I get to parse all these cute sendmail variables to Perl,
and have full access to the power of the "regular" regular expressions which
Perl offers, and unlimited freedom as to how to format/rewrite/filter the
headers. I do the same for local delivery, and am rather pleased with my
setup. No more recipes for me. :) I only use procmail for programs that
really need it (like webstump moderation software,) but invoke it directly
via an alias, instead of a .forward file.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,