Re: spam filter

2000-10-27 09:40:55
At 15:07 2000-10-26 -0700, holtzm(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com wrote:
>          A. enable verbose logging (verbose=ON)
Already was.

Then you should have indicated as much, and what you interpreted from it.

>          B. excerpt what is in the log for the area around this filter

Following are two examples from the .procmail.log. The first one I
couldn't tie to any "From" or "Subject" lines in the log after searching
_way_ back and _way_ forward:

Two separate examples, or one continuing log entry?

il: Assigning "INCLUDERC=/home/holtzm/Procmail/spamtrap.rc"
procmail: Match on
! "(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)holtzm(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com

That's what ^TO_ expands to. Assuming the recipe you posted is the only one looking for an inverted match on the address (and was apparently in spamtrap.rc), this would be your hit. Good so far.

>From atbs18a(_at_)greatmeat(_dot_)nx  Thu Oct 26 12:46:43 2000
 Subject: Farm Fresh Pork Right To You
  Folder: /var/spool/mail/holtzm

And this says it was stored successfully. Presuming these lines immediatley follow the regexp entry above, what's the problem?

Nothing at all. All spam messages show up in INBOX.

Well, from the logfile entry above, SOMETHING was caught and stored in the folder. Are you saying THIS *EXACT* message also appeared in the inbox?

This may sound like a dumb question, but are you copying messages somewhere along in your procmailrc?

You asked for it:

[snip]
Uh, isn't this the message that was _filed_ as per the above logfile entry?

>          E. Keep in mind that the order in which this filter appears in
>                  relation to other filters can have a distinct impact.

The spam filter is last in my .procmailrc file

Uh, you'd better rethink that scheme - sure, this particular rule makes sense to have after mailing lists (where you're actually BCC'd as well), but by and large, spam should be one of the first things you filter for.

>          2. ^TO_ matches a variety of headers -- including X-Envelope-To:

I noticed one of the headers shows "for <holtzm(_at_)localhost>". Would this
qualify?

Not as per the regexp (see the logfile excerpt) - it doesn't look at the Received header. Besides, that address doesn't match the address you're looking for, though one must remember, you're looking for an inverted condition anyway - that is, messages which DO NOT include your address (and since this _isn't_ the address string you're looking for, it wouldn't affect the outcome) - this one both qualfies *AND* appears to have been filtered accordingly.

I still don't see the problem - what you should do is find a message which IS NOT filtered into this file, and the logfile entries demonstrating that.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395