Re: spam filter

2000-10-26 01:30:11
At 15:59 2000-10-25 -0700, holtzm(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com wrote:
Tried this filter with no luck.

               :0:
               * !^TO_holtzm(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com
               /home/holtzm/mail/spambox

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you could:
        A. enable verbose logging (verbose=ON)
        B. excerpt what is in the log for the area around this filter
        C. simply describe what the filter appears to be doing (catching
                messages you think it shouldn't, not catching messages you
                think it should, or doing absolutely nothing at all).
        D. provide the headers from a sample message which you THINK should
                have been filtered, but was not.
        E. Keep in mind that the order in which this filter appears in
                relation to other filters can have a distinct impact.

Note that performing these actions and contemplating them in solitude before posting them to the list will often lead to divine enlightenment.

Two obvious possibilities immediatley jump to mind:

        1. you may not have write permissions to /home/holtzm/mail (or the
                dir does not exist).  (BTW, using something relative to your
                homedir, or using $MAILDIR directly is generally easier to
                manage, esp. when it comes time to relocate the filters to
                a new account.)

        2. ^TO_ matches a variety of headers -- including X-Envelope-To:
                and Apparently-To (among others) -- i.e. BCC's, where your
                server identifies them on reception.  If these elements exist
                in your message headers, you can expect this (due to the
                inverted condition), to be skipping those messages.  No
                surprise there.

                From the manpage, ^TO_ expands to:

                (^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope
                |Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)

                (your verbose log would say as much as well)

Not that it matters much for the purposes of your matching or not in this case, but you should get in the habit of escaping the dot in the hostname portion (and in fact, any dots you expect to match AS dots):
        primenet\.com

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395