Re: filtering caps-only spam

2001-01-11 18:02:00
Collin wrote,

[first example had more forks than an army mess tent]

| I'm sure there's a more elegant way to do it using scoring, though I'm
| not sure what it is.

|     :0 BDhi
|     * -10^1 [a-z]
|     * 1^1 [A-Z]
|     | : tossed because over 90% caps;

You were actually very close.

The weight on the first condition should be -9^1.  Why?  Because we trying
to get a zero score (and thus the barest escape from discard) if 90% of the
alphabetics are caps and 10% are minuscules, so each lower-case letter has to
counterbalance nine upper-case letters.  A text with 1000 alphabetics, 906 of
them capitals and 94 lower-case letters, is over 90% majuscules and should be
vaporized, but it would score -34 and be spared.  If the minuscules are rated
at -9 apiece, then the score is +60 and it gets properly tossed.

The only other thing is that, instead of piping to $SHELL -c :, I'd drop it
to /dev/null or try to unset HOST as more efficient ways to lose the message.

| The scoring method looks to have lower overhead, ...

Yes, much.