Re: What is X-UIDL header?

2001-01-14 16:46:10
At 18:39 2001-01-14 +0000, Pollywog wrote:

I just read RFC 1725 and now I believe it is quite possible that my
friend's AOL did not add the header, but perhaps my ISP's POP server
did, or else it was Fetchmail.  I don't know whether Fetchmail does
this.

I haven't examined the Fetchmail sources, but there's no reason Fetchmail would add the header -- the POP server appends these into the message when you download it.

So yea, if you're not seeing these on ALL your messages, but perhaps just on something you've retrieved via fetchmail, then the server which you're retrieving it from is introducing it.

Note that those who are handling mail on their mail server (without fetchmail in the mix) shouldn't be seeing this header since it is introduced at the POP stage -- a message which comes into your SMTP server and gets filtered by procmail shouldn't encounter this header -- if it does, then it is either a message which was downloaded via fetchmail on another server and then forwarded (or perhaps redirected by a POP mail client), or the message is SPAM - since spammers have taken to inserting this header to confuse mail systems (if you have messages sitting on a POP server that don't get deleted by your POP client and require a manual login on your part to purge them, you'll generally find that they have foreign X-UIDL headers).

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395