Re: Procmail & QPopper

2001-01-27 16:04:13
hi

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Scott Pilz wrote:

I would like to continue using sendmail, however, along with procmail. Is
it possible torun qmail-pop3d with sendmail?

sure, use procmail as the LDA

I also belive that QPopper allows the same /home/user/.mail structure. If

I was talking about qpopper

What exactly slows down QPopper?

2 main reasons:
locking
scanning the mailbox every time user connect to check mail

if the mailbox large enough (say 10Mb) and user is polling the server once a
minute and leaving messages on server, you'll be reading 10Mb once a minute.
Now multiply that by the number of users with large mailboxes and imagine
that user downloads one new message which automatically triggers rewriting
of his mailbox by qpopper (even in server mode).
If qpopper is run in plain mode (not server), it will create a temp file on
every connection and will copy the mailbox to that temp file.
Conclusion - qpopper is a machine killer.

wrong, it's scanning 8 thousand + files in the /var/mail directory, as it

this could add some slowness, but if you have fs cache (check nbufs under
bsd 4.x) which is large enough, this is not a problem.

Read Maildir format description, it says it all.
qmail-pop3d uses maildir format.
This is probably the wrong place for that discussion.

--
rgds,
serge