Re: move incoming mail from /var/spool/mail/$logsuer to $home/user?

2001-01-31 14:02:50
Matt Dunford <matt(_at_)stary(_dot_)zoomedia(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm running RedHat 6.2 / Sendmail 8.9.3-20 and Procmail v3.14.
My /var partition is full and i'd like user's mailbox to be located in
their
home directory (the /home partition is bigger !)

The correct way to tell procmail that your system uses a different
location for the mailspool is the edit the src/authenticate.c file,
then recompile and reinstall procmail.  While there are plans to make
it simpler than that, currently you have to recompile.  Setting the
DEFAULT and/or ORGMAIL variables inside the /etc/procmailrc file is
not sufficient: procmail checks the permissions and ownership of the
mailspool before it reads the /etc/procmailrc file, so the compiled
in mailspool location will still be created as a zero-length file.

It works well, all incoming mail is now moved to my user's folder.
Now, the problem is we can't get mail with client mailer like Outlook...

I suppose you're trying to download with POP or IMAP, right?  Most
likely the POP/IMAP server can't find the users mailbox.  Never
done it before, but I suppose you could configure your POP server to
look for mail boxes in the user home directories.

Agreed.  He should check the documentation for the POP and IMAP servers
to see how to make that change.  I know that for UW-IMAP, this requires
a small source change.

You know, you could also simlink the mail spool directory to the
home partition and leave the mail system alone:

% mv /var/spool/mail /home/mail
% ln -s /home/mail /var/spool/mail

That's probably the easiest way to solve the "out of disk space" problem.
That, or install another disk as a dedicated /var/spool/mail.

Eek, this is more extensive than I thought.  Perhaps look into
implementing qmail, which stores it's spools on /home.

That would solve the problem by updating the POP server and IMAP server.
(Note that qmail itself doesn't include an IMAP server, so whatever
server you install needs to be configured to understand maildirs and
the correct mailspool location.)

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer