Re: Aloha! A question about STDERR...

2001-02-13 01:28:21
Michael J Wise <mjwise(_at_)kapu(_dot_)net> writes:
I'm fiddling with "SixPack"[1], and have a question about the following
line, which I have tried to customize as follows:

        NSLOOKUP=`nslookup ${REVERSED}.rbl.maps.vix.com 2> /dev/null`

Why does it still send the following to my logs:

      *** malasada.lava.net can't find 30.91.65.64.rbl.maps.vix.com: Non-exis
tent host/domain

The only conclusion I can draw so far is that somewhere in the code,
perhaps in pipes.c, STDERR and STDOUT are being tied together.
I'd like to suppress the above line(s) to pretty up the output.

Even if procmail did that (which is doesn't), the redirection in the
command would override it.  If SHELLMETAS was misset or unset then you
would get a usage error message from nslookup.  Therefore, either
a) your /bin/sh is broken; or
b) the nslookup command being invoked sends error messages to stdout; or
c) someone symlinked /dev/null to /dev/stderr

(c) is perposterous; (a) is possible, but unlikely; so I would judge
(b) to be the most likely.  What do you get in your logfile when you
put the following assignment in your rcfile?

LOG = "HOST = $HOST
`IFS=:
 for i in $PATH
 do