Re: LOG & LOGABSTRACT question

2001-02-19 11:37:47
| I already thanked David privately for his excellent synopsis.

You're very welcome, Dallman, and you are as well, Colin.

| The above was the one thing he wrote that surprised me.  I'm still not
| sure it's true - and thought it wasn't - but don't have time to
| test it right now.

You're right, Dallman: my post was incorrect.  I just tried it again with
3.15. Seems that, though I read the procmailrc(5) man page to say otherwise,
LOGABSTRACT=off is the default.

I tried these tests from the shell prompt, so that stderr would be connected
to my terminal.  The following spat logabstracts at me:

 formail -s procmail DEFAULT=/dev/null LOGABSTRACT=on /dev/null < mailbox

The following operated silently:

 formail -s procmail DEFAULT=/dev/null /dev/null < mailbox

| But I believe that (under 3.11pre7) if I don't specifically turn on the
| abstracting, my directives to "LOG="whatever $NL" don't show up.

I gather you meant that if you don't specifically turn on the abstracting,
the logabstracts don't show up, and that's what I was testing up above.  But
to take your wording literally, no, assignments of the LOG variable still are
written to stderr.  If you don't define a logfile, stderr is probably going
into the bit bucket, but if stderr is going somewhere visible you don't need
to turn abstracts on to see LOG= assignments.

The following gladly wrote "This is silly." to my screen once for each
message (provided that I used extra quotes around the newline) without need
to set LOGABSTRACT:

 formail -s procmail DEFAULT=/dev/null LOG="This is silly.'
'" /dev/null < mailbox

and specifically including LOGABSTRACT=off didn't change that: the comments
were still written to my terminal.