Re: LOG & LOGABSTRACT question

2001-02-19 21:19:16
"David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com> writes:
| That looks to me as though LOGABSTRACT is set true by default, as David
| thought at first. And in case it is (surprisingly?) version dependent,
| this is with v3.13.1.

And that's what the procmailrc(5) man page implies for version 3.15:

    LOGABSTRACT Just before procmail exits it logs  an  abstract
                of the delivered message in $LOGFILE showing the
                `From ' and `Subject:'  fields  of  the  header,
                what  folder it finally went to and how long (in
                bytes) the message was.  By setting  this  vari-
                able  to  `no',  generation  of this abstract is
                suppressed.  If you set it  to  `all',  procmail
                will   log  an  abstract  for  every  successful
                delivering recipe it processes.

The only thing left is to wait for Philip to weigh in.  Perhaps there is
different behavior if stderr is a terminal than if it's a plain file set
by the LOGFILE variable?

There are four behaviors to LOGABSTRACT:

YES             Log delivering recipes that do not have the 'c' flag
                        (i.e., final delivery)
ALL             Log all delivering recipes
NO              Don't log delivery recipes
<initial>       If LOGFILE has been set or VERBOSE is on, then log final
                delivery.

Once you've set LOGABSTRACT it is impossible to restore the initial
behavior.  (The same is true of LOGFILE.)

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer