Re: LOG & LOGABSTRACT question

2001-02-19 17:41:23
On 19 Feb, David W. Tamkin wrote:
|[...]
|| That looks to me as though LOGABSTRACT is set true by default, as David
|| thought at first. And in case it is (surprisingly?) version dependent,
|| this is with v3.13.1.
|
| And that's what the procmailrc(5) man page implies for version 3.15:
|
|      LOGABSTRACT Just before procmail exits it logs  an  abstract
|                  of the delivered message in $LOGFILE showing the
|                  `From ' and `Subject:'  fields  of  the  header,
|                  what  folder it finally went to and how long (in
|                  bytes) the message was.  By setting  this  vari-
|                  able  to  `no',  generation  of this abstract is
|                  suppressed.  If you set it  to  `all',  procmail
|                  will   log  an  abstract  for  every  successful
|                  delivering recipe it processes.

And in case it helps you reason that you're not crazy, I read that
exactly the same way.

| The only thing left is to wait for Philip to weigh in.  Perhaps there is
| different behavior if stderr is a terminal than if it's a plain file set
| by the LOGFILE variable?

One final note on my previous observation of what happened with
LOGABSTRACT=all, LOGFILE and VERBOSE both unset, and an rcfile that
produces 2 LOG= writes and 2 abstracts. I said output was to the console
as David suggested it should be, but that was imprecise. Redirecting
stderr to /dev/null (at the console) confirms that the output was to
stderr - and *that's* what David reported.

--
 /"\                                                 Don Hammond
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN