Re: procmail not right for `virtual domain'

2001-03-03 21:01:06
Bahamat <bahamat(_at_)timespace(_dot_)dhs(_dot_)org> writes:
The question about creating a virtual domain is exactly the situation I'm in.
Basically all mail for my domain is delivered to a single pop mailbox in the
upstream, then it's grabbed with fetchmail into a local mailbox.

The theory is then, that procmail would sort out all the mail and give it to
whomever it's suposed to go.

I understand however that the envelope is now gone, thus procmail has much
difficulty doing what I've asked it to do, and as the FAQ states, procmail is
not the right tool for the job here.

It's not just more difficult, but outright impossible at times, unless the
MTA that stuff all the message into a single mailbox saves the envelope
information for you.  If there's only a single recipient then most
MTAs put its address in the "for" clause of the first Received: header,
but what you want is for it to store _all_ of them in a single header.
You should talk to your upstream provider and ask if they can do that.

Whether or not that happens, fetchmail's multidrop capability does as
good a job as any procmail script I've seen for sorting out messages.

Or is this whole attempt futile and I should just ask my upstream to forward
all mail for my domain on down to my computer so that it can be done properly?

That seems like the best way to do it, assuming they can keep from sending
bounce messages when you go out of town for a week and can't receive it.
Depending on your connectivity, UUCP over TCP might be the best solution.

Philip Guenther