proper use of metamail & procmail

2001-03-06 14:43:54

I realize this isn't a metamail forum, but I have a question specific to
procmail, so I hope that will be OK.

I have been using metamail this way (to try and get just the plain text of a
message)

:0 fbw
| metamail -q

but when I look at the metamail man page, it seems to imply that I must (or
should) use the -b flag if I am just giving it the body of a message

       -b      This option tells metamail that the message is not in RFC 822
format, but instead is only the
               body of the message (i.e. there are no message headers).  The use
of -b requires the  use  of
               -c.

and if I use -b then I need to use -c

       -c <contenttype>
               This option tells metamail to use the specified content type
rather than the one in the head-
               ers, if any.

My question is, can I capture (into $MATCH) the Content-Type: and hand it to
metamail like so:

:0fbw
* ^Content-type:*\/[^ ].*
| metamail -qbc $MATCH

but then I thought about things like

and wondered how I would get rid of the ; and everything after it (if
present)... can I do this w/o resorting to 'sed'?

OR

should I not worry about -b or -c and just use

        :0w
        | metamail -q

(ie can metamail handle getting all of the email message, including the headers)

Thanks for your help... a google search turned up a lot of 'metamail procmail'
matches, but few actually refer to using the two together

TjL