Re: Help on simple spam filter

2001-03-06 14:35:39
Homer Wilson Smith wrote:

     The method we are playing with is a huge data base of specific
subject lines, 100,000 or more created by our users themselves as they
cast spam into a spamtrap.

Wrong approach. Your database grows according to N*M, and that pretty
quickly. The Spammers LOVE tricks like this, and include morphing of both
the From: and Subject: line as "Standard Equipment" in most SpamWare.

When determining if something is Spam, the Subject: header is about the
LAST one I look at. Although of late, I just added a new test that has
proven to be reasonably effective that looks    for certain signs.

You need to look carefully at the OTHER headers, and over time, you will
draw certain conclusions, you will test them, and find them accurate
indicators, and then put them into place.

Your friends in this battle are the LOG directive, mail-abuse.org, and
the "SixPack".

Aloha mai Nai`a!
--
"Please have your Internet License             http://kapu.net/~mjwise/