RE: Autoresponder add an attachment

2001-03-30 10:41:22
Someone somewhere out there must have added an attachment to an
autoresponder? Can anyone help???

The issue is that you mean a binary attachment and that can be a pig from a
command line :) You have to fiddle with UUencoding and decoding, etc,

I don't know how to do this for you but I can offer help with the above
problem.

There is a utility called MPACK provided by some ISPs. I used Google to find
these links for you where you can I think d/l it:

http://www.stormix.com/resources/packages/mail/mpack/
http://at.rpmfind.net/opsys/linux/RPM/mpack.html
http://www.rge.com/pub/mail/mime/mpack/

The only intro/readme I could find online for you is at the following ISP
but the above files will come with readmes I suspect:
http://www.vservers.com/guide/?chapter=6&sec=9&subsec1=1

Get mpack working, check the above readme example then see what more you
need doing so someone on this list can provide you with the recipe.

HTH

David

PS: There are caveats to people getting files by email - if you get a
bounced 2meg file a few times a week you will know what I mean. IMHO it is
better to offer a URL FTP/HTTP where people can grab the file. If you get a
lot of people requesting files by email you also could end up with a large
Sendmail queue if remote hosts are down or connections deferred. Remember
too that you want to be very careful to restrict files being requested so
people can't go "send $home/.login" or whatever!