RE: Autoresponder add an attachment

2001-03-30 12:41:28
At 12:30 PM -0500 3/30/01, David Cross is rumored to have typed:

Someone somewhere out there must have added an attachment to an
autoresponder? Can anyone help???

The issue is that you mean a binary attachment and that can be a pig from a
command line :) You have to fiddle with UUencoding and decoding, etc,

   Er...technically, I think you mean BASE64 encoding, since UUEncoding isn't
valid for a MIME mailing.

   Am I the only one who thinks it's actually simpler, if you're doing a
fixed autoresponder and not a file server, just to have the entire MIME
message, headers and all, in a text file (since BASE64 is text anyway)? I
mean, I actually did write a binary autoresponder routine a couple years ago
using MPACK and it worked fine, but it's just a whole lot simpler and less
muss-and-fuss to cat the text file that includes the miltipart sections as a
straight text stream and send it packing (pun intended) to sendmail,
_exactly_ the same way you'd do it with a non-MIME autoresponder message.

   Again, this requires that we stop thinking about attachments as anything
other than just another 7-bit text part of the message body. Attachments
aren't seperate things until the client makes them so...it's just a longer
text message. Attachments shouldn't be so darned hard to work with...it's the
modern email clients that hide the _real_ format of a MIME message from the
user that causes all the confusion.

   (Hint: just use pico, joe, or [ugh] vi to read your mailbox when you have
a small attachment in it to see how the test is constructed.)

         Charlie