Re: User killing my server

2001-04-03 11:31:18
Kip wrote,

| My mail server has been showing a much heavier load than normal for
| several days now.  It is averaging 400+ processes and a load average of 50
| or more.  One user seems to have a ton of the processes to themself:
|
| ps -ef | grep skeeters | grep procmail | wc -l
|     279
|
| What's really odd is there is no .procmailrc file for this user.  The
| /etc/procmailrc file and the corresponding recipe files are all properly
| owned to root:mail.

Wild guess: maybe there's a problem writing to his mail spool.

Second wild guess: he has a leftover lockfile on his spool (or a leftover
kernel lock?) from an old procmail process that aborted, and every message
he gets has procmail waiting for that lock to go away.

Some side advice -- don't use four processes where two can do the job:

  ps -ef | grep -c 'skeeters.*procmail'