Re: Procmail Mailboxes

2001-04-17 01:41:55
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, David Gómez wrote:

I have no need to use /var/spool/mail, so i deleted
it. But everytime procmail processes some messages, it complains in the
maillog (although the mail its indeed delivered) that cannot write to
/var/spool/mail/someuser. This is the message:
Apr 15 20:37:21 roku qmail: 987359841.904541 delivery
2: success: procmail:_Couldn't_create_"/var/spool/mail/someuser"/did_0+0+1/

There was another message also about the creation of
/var/spool/mail. I think if you call procmail with the flag -m
before the rcfile, then there is no attempt to create it.

According to the procmailrc manpage,

      ORGMAIL               /var/mail/$LOGNAME
                             (Unless -m has  been  specified,  in
                             which case it is unset)

But there are probably other consequences of which I am not
aware. I also want to get rid of the message, because I am running
Smartlist where qmail is the MTA. Flist calls procmail, but
because it is a binary file, I can't stick the -m flag in it.

According to qmail documentation, you can specify at procmail
compile time not to have the spool mail box. According to
procmail's Makefile,

/* This usually allowed you to define SYSTEM_MBOX.  This has changed.
   If you want mail delivery to custom mail-spool-files, edit the
   src/authenticate.c file and change the content of:  auth_mailboxname()
   (either directly, or through changing the definitions in the same file
   of MAILSPOOLDIR, MAILSPOOLSUFFIX, MAILSPOOLHASH or MAILSPOOLHOME) */

And in authenticate.c, there is
#ifndef MAILSPOOLDIR
#define MAILSPOOLDIR    "/var/spool/mail/"           /* watch the trailing / */
#endif
#ifndef MAILSPOOLSUFFIX
#define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX ""            /* suffix to force maildir or MH style */
#endif
#ifndef MAILSPOOLHASH
#define MAILSPOOLHASH   0      /* 2 would deliver to /var/spool/mail/b/a/bar */
#endif
/*#define MAILSPOOLHOME "/.mail"                      /* watch the leading / */
                                                  /* delivers to $HOME/.mail */

However, I can't find the auth_mailboxname that is supposed to be
in that file.

--
Greg Matheson                If there is one thing we learn from the
Chinmin College,             study of language learning, it is that