sorting mail based on sender

2001-04-20 11:59:40
I tried some searches for this but wasn't able to find anything.

I want a copy of each incoming mail to be stored in a file whose name
is determined by the sender of the email.  For example if an email is
sent to me by foo(_at_)domain(_dot_)com I want a copy of the email to be
appended
to the foo file.

I tried the following, which is ugly, but I thought it might work:

:0 c:
*
${MAILDIR}/`grep -i '^from:' | sed 's/.*[: <     ]\([a-zA-Z0-9\.]*\)@.*$/\1/g'`

but it doesn't seem to work.  I get messages like this in my procmail
log:

Lock failure on "Mail/chriskb.lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "Mail/chriskb"

this is when I send a message from an account that starts with
chriskb@

Any ideas?  I'm new to procmail, so other approaches to the problem
would be very helpful.  I also see in the manual stuff about "\/" and
"MATCH", should I be using those to figure out the sender?

--
chris