Re: Adding Reply-To to list messages

2001-04-23 04:56:50
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex(_at_)apartia(_dot_)ch>
wrote:

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 03:49:13AM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
I would like all incoming mail from a particular list to get a
Reply-To header added to it.  Many lists I am on are doing the
whole "Reply-To munging considered harmful" debate, and I pretty
much don't give a **** what other's opinions are.  ;o)  I want it
so when I hit reply to list mail, by default unless I change it,
my reply goes to the list.  So...

I too deliberately mung a Reply-to: header into all email originating from
mailing list irrespective of what policy the list owner(s) have set up. I
also add tags to all such messages (where the list owner(s) don't include
them).

And how do send private, direct replies to list posters after that?

On the few occasions that I reply directly to a respondent rather than
sending a message to the list I use the "reply to all" function in my
mailer. Deleting the list address. With the exception of replies
concerning slander or defamation it's my policy to reply on list rather
than individuals. And apart from that expection indeed will only send a
list reply.

Much like total strangers sending vcard attachments I consider cc:ing list
replies poor 'netiquete at best and total arrogance at worst. If I were so
inclined I'd have a procmail recipe that auto-/dev/null's all such cc:ed
copies.

A better solution would be to use a decent MUA that supports a
reply-to-list function (hint: http://www.mutt.org). Pine is obsolete and
non-free software.

!

Doctrinalism in everything being "open source" doesn't help. That pine
isn't doctrinally "OpenSource" may be true. It's "free" in that one does
not have to pay. But as pine has recently been updated (version 4.33) it
ain't obsolete. Indeed I know improvements are still being made because I
discussed enhancements with the development people today. Others providing
patches to pine (see .sig) would also not agree with you.

When I list-replied to your messages I simply hit the 'L' key and only
the procmail list was included as recipient, I didn't have to edit the
recipient list to prune cc:'s.

With a Reply-to: munged by procmail for all procmail list message all I
did was press the R key.

As a "linux advocate" you shoudn't be butchering e-mail headers to get
the functionality you need.

If you work in a heterogeneous environment then munging via procmail is
the only way to get consistent and reproducible results. And as the
majority of list owners are not UNIX/Linux/Solaris gurus such munging will
always be needed to give the functionality wanted.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

--

Local list tags removed with a patched pine courtesy of Eduardo Chappa

<>< Re: deemed!