Re: [PROCMAIL] Re: Adding Reply-To to list messages

2001-04-23 19:27:16
On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:27:04PM -0400, Stan Ryckman wrote:

Trevor Jenkins writes:

Much like total strangers sending vcard attachments I consider cc:ing list
replies poor 'netiquete at best and total arrogance at worst. If I were so
inclined I'd have a procmail recipe that auto-/dev/null's all such cc:ed
copies.

<snip>

Note that some lists actually allow non-subscribers to post, being used
for support functions for users.  This list happens to be one of them.
The procmail man page tells people to post here but doesn't require
that they subscribe here first.  So the Cc may be *necessary* if it
is not known whether the sender is on the list.

<snip of bickering>

This is an interesting point, one which I'm sure has been flogged to
death on usenet. I, too, munge the headers by adding a Reply-To in
procmail, because the post came from the list, and I'd like everyone to
benefit from my reply (or not, as the case may be ;-). This is the first
list I've ever been on where I _know_ non-subscribers may post to the
list.

So is there a "netiquette" solution to this? It seems to me that someone
unsubscribed but posting to a list would be ill-served by _not_
subscribing to a list, since inevitably someone will post the reply to
the list without CCing the non-subscriber. That's reality.

However, I don't want to provoke a pine-vs-mutt or vi-vs-emacs debate.
My only question is whether there is some netiquette on it. If you have
an answer, please cite the (preferrably official) document.

Paul