Re: Why is procmail so Paranoid !!?

2001-06-14 13:02:40
"Phil Ellett" <sysadmin(_at_)technimode(_dot_)com> writes:
The system I administer has group write enabled for all user directories
as the group ownership of each home directory is the "httpd" group which
is purely used by the webserver and root.  In many cases (due to
automation) the webserver needs to be able to write into directories.
Can procmail be setup to have "httpd" as a trusted group user ?

You have the source to procmail, so you can make it do whatever you want.

Otherwise how else can I have a .procmailrc file in a home directory
group owned by httpd and with write access ... ???

Please read the following two message from the archive (both posted within
the LAST THREE DAYS!), and then answer the question: how is doing what
you want any different from running your webserver as root?

Another option would be to make to home directory as far as sendmail is
concerned to be /home/username/mailroot/ ... how would I go about doing
this ?

While you can do that by editting the procmail source, it doesn't make
it any safer.

Philip Guenther