Re: system mailboxes / logfile permissions.

2001-06-14 13:15:37
Thank you both Joseph and Philip for your comments.

Phillip mentioned that

 procmail
doesn't read the /etc/procmailrc file until after it has verified the
permissions on the compiled in mailspool location,

We have procmail as local delivery agent running with sendmail. I don't quite understand when a piece of mail reaches the mail server, at what point the procmail will take over. My understanding is that procmail delivers it to the user's mailpool directory. Is this right?

While installing procmail, I had trouble with log file's permissions. First, only mail to root was logged, then I tried different ownership and permissions. Either with root:sys or root:others, I have to chmod 622, but all other system logfiles work fine with 600. Did I missconfigured something? If not, why procmail log file requires group and world writable?

Here is what I have:
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     sys         1024 Jun 11 11:13 /var/log
-rw-------   1 root     sys      1404407 Jun 14 13:02 /var/log/mail.log
-rw--w--w-   1 root     sys       202119 Jun 14 13:00 /var/log/procmail.log

Thanks.

Xiaoyan