Re: list of bin

2001-06-14 18:31:51
At 15:24 2001-06-14 -0700, Kayven Riese did say:

Please quit sending TWO copies to the list. You're cc'ing two aliases to the same list (possibly caused by blindly replying to all), which means the subscribership is having the deal with two copies of your illuminating posts which are so liberally peppered with words which I cannot find in the OED, Websters, American Heritage, or any other cannon of the English language.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Andrew Edelstein wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 10:07:32AM -0700, Kayven Riese wrote:
> > i don't know if the freek is properly installed.. i thought
> > that u could tell if u saw that listing
>
> A better way to tell if procmail is installed is
> a) Use find ( find / -name procmail )

tried that.. the freek went quazzy.. it looked like it was
doing everybody in the @*#&#@ system.. scrolled on and on..

Assuming users are in /home or something:
Try:

find / \( -path '/proc' -o -path '/home' \) -prune -o -name procmail -print |less

This, at least in theory, should dump out a considerably smaller list if you were seeing something for virtually every user in the system. IMO, this is probably an indication that you didn't conduct the suggested find properly, unless everyone has a private copy of procmail (and file permissions are hopelessly slack), which itself might be an indicator that you need a private copy of the package. Little nuances in syntax can make a world of difference with commands.

> b) Ask your system. administrator.

they told me something about it not being implemented but was
installed i think?  then they directed me to this mailing list..

Cheap way for your system admins to not answer questions that *THEY* should be able to answer pretty simply - this list is like a collective support service for it's own membership -- but it isn't an extension of your ISP's tech support desk.

Perhaps you should make it clear to them that you're not asking about usage, just where it is.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm inclined to believe that if you cannot locate procmail on your mail server, and lacking that, can't manage to download and compile the procmail package within your own user account, you just might not be ready to tackle some of the configuration issues you're no doubt going to encounter getting procmail to work. Armed with procmail, you'll be able to /dev/nul your mail as fast as it arrives, create mail loops that piss of mail administrators, etc -- I think reading some manpages is in order.

find, locate, which, and type are all unix commands you might want to read about in 'man' as well.

currently i still have to try a new idea:  having no .forward
file.. i met a guy who is a chess player like me at the big

This will only work if procmail is configured as the LDA, since procmail can look for the .procmailrc file without requiring that procmail be INVOKED via the .forward mechanism.