Re: formail was: [Re: Postfix]

2001-06-17 23:00:06
I see.  Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately, (probably my fault for
not being clear in my initial message to the list) I don't think this
is going to help.  My setup is imap, using Cyrus 1.6.24, sendmail
8.9.3, and procmail 3.14.  I have had it working for some time, except
that procmail was not really doing any processing for regular mail.
Sendmail was just handing the mail off to the Cyrus deliver program,
which dumps the messages into the folders.  Cyrus doesn't keep mail in
the users' home directory, so there are very few ways to play a lot of
the tricks that can be played with the usual tools.

Recently, I decided to incorporate procmail more, as a processing tool
between sendmail and deliver, so that I could generate more specific
filters before messages were even put into the mailbox.  One such
filter was to add a 'Lines:" header so that mutt could tell me how big
a message is before I bother downloading it from the server.

At this point, I have procmail in place, and handing messages
successfully to deliver, but when I add the "Lines:" recipe in, I get
errors, the mail gets lost, and nothing works.

At this point, I have narrowed it down to formail, which is what my
procmail recipe uses to add the new header.  It looks like formail is
trying to change the format of the message (can't really blame it
since that is one of formails primary functions).  I just need to find
a way to count those lines and add the header without changing the
format, because deliver needs to get it in the same format sent out by
sendmail.

I think this is a little more clear than some of my previous messages,
so I hope this gives you a better idea what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Lou

On 06/16/01 03:50 PM, Andre Berger sat at the `puter and typed:
<snip>
I apologize, I really thought I had sent the complete mail with all
headers back to you. Here are they:

<begin headers of prev. msg>