RE: Altering the body of an email

2001-06-17 23:02:32
Thanks David!

After having looked at the raw message in the mail box, I noticed the line
was indeed in there, as you say, hidden in the other "part". I suppose in
the subject is better than no where :-)

Cheers,

Ben

---------------------------------

Ben Dimmock faced an irony:

|   :0 fhw
|   | cat - ; echo "Warning - attachment is executable and may contain a
virus"

| works on all emails, except those with attachments ...

That's because the part of the body of a multipart message before the first
separator is not shown to the reader.  In fact, that's where most MUAs that
can compose multipart messages put text saying something like, "if you can
see this, your mailer is not able to handle multipart messages correctly."
[That use of the word "correctly" is highly debatable!]

| ... because the line will simply not be added after the headers.

I'm sure it's getting added; it's just put into a place where no one will
see
it.

| If anyone has any ideas ... , I'd really appreciate the help :-)

I see two basic approaches, and neither is really good:

1. Bet that the first part of a multipart message is text and add the
warning
   to the first part.  It might not be text, and the message might be multi-
   part/alternative so that the mailer shows the second part instead, so
   there's a good chance that the reader won't see it there either; plus it
   may be less than easy to determine where the first part begins.

2. Put the warning into the subject line.  Downside: depending on how you
   handle that, the real subject will be lost at worst or shunted off where
   the reader won't see it at best.