Re: ".procmailrc" & "sh"

2001-06-23 20:43:32
On Sun, Jun 24, 2001, Roy Lanek wrote:

"man procmailrc"; it's says:

"[...] The assignments and substitutions of [these] environment variables
are handled exactly like in sh(1) (that includes all possible quotes and
escapes) [...]."

The answer lies above. :)

LOGFILE= "$MAILDIR/log.`date +%y-%m-%d`"

Environment variables are handled *exactly* like in sh, so that means
you can't have a variable like the one above. Because, spaces are
bad(tm).

LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/log.`date +%y-%m-%d`  # should work just fine

It doesn't work. Question: what I a making wrong, not understanding, et
cetera. (And perhaps: any solutions?)

It works, just not the way you're trying to make it work. :) Hope that
helps, and I'd suggest reading through the 'sh' man page a few times to
make sure you are familiar with it.

--
Robert Hough (rch(_at_)solveinteractive(_dot_)com)