Re: Re: ".procmailrc" & "sh"--solved

2001-06-24 03:22:58
David W. Tamkin wrote (Sat 23-Jun-2001, 23:56:26 -0500)

1. Is /bin/sh the value of $SHELL in your .procmailrc?

Yes.

2. In your .procmailrc's $PATH, does /bin precede any other directory that
   has an executable called "date"?

I have only one "date". (I have made a find.) But: I am an idiot; I have
forgotten to put /bin in .procmailrc's $PATH!

3. Is your mail delivered on the same machine where you had the shell session
   from which you showed us the output of the two which commands and the date
   command?

Problem solved--works perfectly now; but: yes.

Pentultimately, it's not efficient to run date for every piece of incoming
mail.  Better, you should do it once a day with cron if you can.  In your
crontab, put this:

 0 0 * * * echo LOGFILE\=\$MAILDIR/log.`/bin/date +'%y-%m-%d'` >
$HOME/.plfname

and in your .procmailrc, instead of LOGFILE=anything,

 INCLUDERC=$HOME/.plfname

David, this is a very intelligent idea; will do stans pede in uno. With
this suggestion already it has been worth subscribing to the list.

Thank you very much for helping. (BTW I am even a double idiot: between my
"LOGFILE=" and `"et cetera"' there never has been any space.)

/roy