Outbound and transit MTA procmail filtering 'hooks'

2001-07-05 09:27:39
I had a user to whom I was explaing the difficulty of outbound
procmail based email filtering (see FAQ 3.35) get me thinking.
Particularly, the stopping cross-propigation of viral content OUT
from our site was a goal state he had sought.

The more recent Linux sendmail configurations have added procmail as
the LDA in the m4 config file which generates sendmail.cf

In the transit smtp handler situation -- whether local, inbound as a
MX 20, or as an outbound mail transfer agent, the content is still
flowing through the route parsing logic of sendmail.cf's ruleset.

Is it possible to devise and add a 'run this first against ALL
pieces' m4 rule, to hand every piece to a procmail filter step --
/etc/procmailrc is pretty much reserved for inbound master filter
(catch viruses, etc) so call it '/etc/outprocmailrc' ?  -- This kind
of 'hook' would get procmail's strength in a transit and
outbound context.

The Harker site ruleset mangling example referred to from the
sendmail.org site offline at the moment.  They had documented
something like this a couple of years ago, but it was self-described
as hackish.

Any thoughts?

-- Russ Herrold