Re: etc/procmail configuration question

2001-07-05 09:32:33
   From: Andrew Edelstein <andrew(_at_)pure-chaos(_dot_)com>
   Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 01:21:08 -0700

   Be careful there. Spambouncer CAN have false positives. It's rare, but not
   foolproof, especially when teh sender is from Hotmail or angelfire or one
   of teh other freebie mail hosts. Indiscriminatly dropping all suspected
   spam can cause lost mail.

Depending on what kind of mail you tend to recieve, it's not so rare.
Especially if you have the pattern matcher on.  And most especially if it's
on and you're running a business through your account.  People you have
never had contact before (hense they aren't in nobounce or filtered in
procmail) send completely legitimate messages to you that end up on the
spam folder because they mention money or buying things from you or selling
things to you (in ways you have solicited), etc.

Also, when you subscribe to a mailing list or newsletter, it often ends up
in the spam folder at first.  You don't always know the best way to filter
for it until you get your first message.  Some lists put your address, not
the posting address, in the To: line.  Others don't have a subject prefix,
or they use one that's not obvious.

When the original poster said SB was getting it right (for the positives
anyway) 100% I didn't know whether to laugh or be jealous.  For my mail,
it's right about 98% of the time, which I consider pretty good.  But some
of those 5% have been emails I would have been very upset to miss.  I sort
all my spam into the same folder and check it periodically.

Cyndi