Re: Marking messages as read

2001-07-25 10:04:49
Ross asked,

| I am using procmail to filter the mail from several mailing lists into
| folders. However, it is quite annoying that my mail client alerts me to
| new mail when I get messages which I sent to the list myself.  How can I
| write a rule in procmail so that any mail from myself is marked as read?

Which is the problem here: getting the alerts, or having the message not
marked as already read?

If it's the beeping from biff or buffy or some relative of theirs, try
COMSAT=off at the top of your .procmailrc, or if you want to be beeped for
other mail,

 :0
 * $ ^From.*$LOGNAME
 { COMSAT=off }

(Odhiambo's suggestion to trash mail from yourself is a little bit radical
for me; after all, you had some reason for sending it to yourself in the
first place.)

Even at that, the beeping may come in as the MTA's doing before procmail
gets the message, so you might not be able to stop it.

If the problem is having a "new" flag in the index screen of your mail
client on a message that you already saw because you wrote it,

 MATCH # clear out any existing value
 :0fwh
 * $ ^From.*$LOGNAME
 * 1^0 ^Status:\/.+