Re: Marking messages as read

2001-07-30 00:51:35
On 25 Jul 2001 11:49:25 -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:
| I am using procmail to filter the mail from several mailing lists into
| folders. However, it is quite annoying that my mail client alerts me to
| new mail when I get messages which I sent to the list myself.  How can I
| write a rule in procmail so that any mail from myself is marked as read?

Which is the problem here: getting the alerts, or having the message not
marked as already read?

The messages being marked as unread is my problem, I want to know when
other mails come in.

(Odhiambo's suggestion to trash mail from yourself is a little bit radical
for me; after all, you had some reason for sending it to yourself in the
first place.)

Exactly.

If the problem is having a "new" flag in the index screen of your mail
client on a message that you already saw because you wrote it,

 MATCH # clear out any existing value
 :0fwh
 * $ ^From.*$LOGNAME
 * 1^0 ^Status:\/.+
 * 1^0
 | formail -I "Status: ${MATCH}RO"

I put that in my .procmail and it works - thanks very much.  I'm not a
procmail wizard myself (I only use it for mailing list filtering) so I
doubt I'd be able to figure that out myself!

Thanks,
Ross
--
Ross Burton                     Software Engineer
OneEighty Software Ltd          Tel: +44 20 8680 8712