Re: FreeBSD: sendmail + procmail + cyrus = headaches

2001-07-29 21:28:18
Thank you very much for your kind offer.  As it turns out, I have a
pennance to perform for doing something infinitely foolish.

My MUA, mutt is now the only mail reader I use.  As a result I have a
set config that I move from one machine to another.  I moved this from
my Linux machines to the FreeBSD machines I am bringing up to speed.
Anyway, a funny thing happened.  Well, not really funny.

When I initially configured Mutt, I started with the sample linux
based config, which for some reason had the sendmail path as
/usr/lib/sendmail.
This was the place to find it on both RH6.2 and Mandrake 7.1.  Well,
obviously this is a rather foolish place to put Sendmail, and in fact
Linux actually puts it in /usr/sbin/ then links it to /usr/lib/ which
I didn't know.  Of course FreeBSD avoids this foolishness by simply
putting it in /usr/sbin/.

Anyway, as you may have guessed by now, I assumed there was something
wrong with my sendmail config, when it was really my 'perfectly good'
mutt config, pointing to sendmail in the wrong place.

I would like to profusely apologise to (and thank!) those who tried to
help me with this problem when I actually didn't even provide all the
necessary info.

I will endeavor to avoid making such an ass of myself in the future
(_!_).

Thanks again!

Lou

On 07/29/01 06:20 PM, Odhiambo Washington sat at the `puter and typed:
Hi Louis,

Ignoring procmail and cyrus (which are only used to handle local
deliveries) your problem then boils down to sendmail.

I've used sendmail on FreeBSD (but not with procmail as LDA even though
this doesn't really matter) for some tests. I didn't use m4 for
anything. I simply edited the sendmail.cf

Q1. Any errors when sendmail starts? You could even watch this when the
FreeBSD box boots up. Do you notice anything sinister when it's starting
sendmail?

Q2. Are you doing direct deliveries to the destination hosts or are you
dumping the outbound e-mails onto your ISPs mail gateway?

In /etc/mail/sendmail.cf what do you have on the line with the words
below?

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

You could have
# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.myisp.domain

Q3. Don't you suspect DNS to be the issue?

Q4. Are you running named?

So many questions.

Show me the following files:

/etc/rc.conf
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf

Also run the command

host wananchi.com > wananchi

then attach the file called 'wananchi'

I will try to help you to the extent that I can. You don't have to revert
to the lists again until I say so ;-)

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such
manner that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.
-old Indian saying

--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc(_at_)acadia(_dot_)ne(_dot_)mediaone(_dot_)net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 Ô¿Ô¬

Intuition, however illogical, is recognized as a command prerogative.
    -- Kirk, "Obsession", stardate 3620.7