Re: FreeBSD: sendmail + procmail + cyrus = headaches

2001-07-29 08:37:23
* Louis LeBlanc
<leblanc+procmail(_at_)acadia(_dot_)ne(_dot_)mediaone(_dot_)net> [20010728
20:20]: writing on the subject 'FreeBSD: sendmail + procmail + cyrus =
headaches'
Louis> Hey all.  Quick question.  I am currently running RH6.2 and using the
Louis> following odd handoff scheme for mail:
Louis> Sendmail -> procmail -> cyrus deliver <to imap folder>.
Louis> The addition of procmail was fairly recent, and only because I was
Louis> sick of not knowing how long a message was in Mutt.  Procmail was
Louis> introduced solely for the purpose of adding a Lines: header.  Funny,
Louis> huh?  Anyway, I now use Procmail for spamkilling (LOVE IT!) virus
Louis> filtering (not much trouble with the sircam virus yet) and I don't
Louis> think I can do without it now.
Louis>
Louis> Anyway here is my problem:  I am replacing the old RH6.2 box with a
Louis> FreeBSD4.3 machine; bigger, faster, more secure(?) and all that.
Louis> Unfortunately, I am unable to get it to send mail at all.
Louis>
Louis> I know this is slightly OT, but I wonder if anyone out there is using
Louis> the same setup and can help me?  I have had some good suggestions from
Louis> other lists (freebsd-questions, for one) but no progress on actually
Louis> getting mail sent out yet.
Louis>
Louis> Feel free to ignore this request if it is too much out of place, but
Louis> all help will be appreciated.

Hi Louis,

Ignoring procmail and cyrus (which are only used to handle local
deliveries) your problem then boils down to sendmail.

I've used sendmail on FreeBSD (but not with procmail as LDA even though
this doesn't really matter) for some tests. I didn't use m4 for
anything. I simply edited the sendmail.cf

Q1. Any errors when sendmail starts? You could even watch this when the
FreeBSD box boots up. Do you notice anything sinister when it's starting
sendmail?

Q2. Are you doing direct deliveries to the destination hosts or are you
dumping the outbound e-mails onto your ISPs mail gateway?

In /etc/mail/sendmail.cf what do you have on the line with the words
below?

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

You could have
# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.myisp.domain

Q3. Don't you suspect DNS to be the issue?

Q4. Are you running named?

So many questions.

Show me the following files:

/etc/rc.conf
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf

Also run the command

host wananchi.com > wananchi

then attach the file called 'wananchi'

I will try to help you to the extent that I can. You don't have to revert
to the lists again until I say so ;-)

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a
manner that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.
-old Indian saying