Re: FreeBSD: sendmail + procmail + cyrus = headaches

2001-07-30 22:04:23
On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 12:11:39AM -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
When I initially configured Mutt, I started with the sample linux
based config, which for some reason had the sendmail path as
/usr/lib/sendmail.
This was the place to find it on both RH6.2 and Mandrake 7.1.  Well,
obviously this is a rather foolish place to put Sendmail, and in fact
Linux actually puts it in /usr/sbin/ then links it to /usr/lib/ which

Not so foolish. This is where the sendmail binary resides in Solaris. Those
Linux distributions probably put links there for compatibility (though I've
used RH for some time and never noticed the link. Probably because I never
looked for it.)

I didn't know.  Of course FreeBSD avoids this foolishness by simply
putting it in /usr/sbin/.

As you move from one *nix to another, get used to things not being where you
expect them. Irix puts things in all kinds of wierd places (/etc/sendmail, I
believe. Don't remember for sure.)

I will endeavor to avoid making such an ass of myself in the future
(_!_).

Don't feel too bad. We all make mistakes when we're first starting out. This
list tends to be fairly tolerant of newby questions and errors. :)

--
Every man should know how to make at least one drink from a foreign country,
preferably one taught to him by a local female with whom he has had a