Re: why does this recipe fail?

2001-07-26 11:28:04
At 10:28 2001-07-26 -0700, Joseph J. Strout wrote:

Interesting! That must have gotten converted to a real period when Eudora sucked it down to my desktop machine, which is why when I loaded it back up to test it interactively, the recipe worked just fine.

Yup. FTR, the ? at the end of the first line may be similarly encoded, but since unescaped, the ? is a regexp token, which in this case fails in a benign fashion, it wasn't being interpreted AS a literal ?, and so the first line matches on the merits of all the preceeding text.

One more question, if you don't mind: AIUI, these "*" lines are actually regular expressions. So wouldn't "." match any character anyway? Or would it require a [.*] to match =2E? Or am I totally off-base?

=2E is three characters.  To properly match either form, use:

        (\.|=2E)

Same goes for the question mark:

        (\?|=3F)