Re: forcing maildir delivery in /var/mail/$LOGNAME/ ?

2001-08-02 08:29:35
* On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:34:27AM -0500, Philip Guenther wrote:
Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex(_at_)apartia(_dot_)ch> writes:
I am trying to force procmail to deliver with the maildir format in
/var/spool/mail with this /etc/procmailrc:

First of all, you must be running procmail version 3.15 or later.

Procmail-3.21

For everyone or just for one or more users?  If for everyone, then edit
the src/authenticate.c file and change the MAILSPOOLSUFFIX #define to read

#define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX "/"

then recompile and reinstall procmail.

Thanks for the suggestion but I run Debian and will not recompile
packages and would rather not use functionality that requires source
code tweaking.

If just for one or more users, then give them .procmailrc files that say

DEFAULT = $DEFAULT/

and create /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME as a directory that they own with
mode 700.

Why do I have to create a directory? Isn't procmail supposed to do that
automatically?

Even though there is no /var/spool/mail/papy yet, it seems procmail creates
and empty mailbox file and then refuses to deliver to a maildir folder
because (from the log):

procmail: Unable to treat as directory "/var/spool/mail/papy"

Even if I first create a /var/spool/mail/papy directory then it is
renamed to /var/spool/mail/BOGUS.xyz and mail is still delivered to a
papy mbox-type file.

I suspect that either you're not running a new enough version of procmail
or the directory you created didn't have the correct owner and/or mode.

Yes, the ownership (root) was wrong.

The basic question is:

Why does procmail insist on creating an empty /var/spool/mail/user file
_before_ attempting to deliver to a maildir folder with the same name
(thus generating a clash)?

Thanks for your help, cheers,

--
 THERAMENE: Phèdre, atteinte d'un mal qu'elle s'obstine à taire,
            Lasse enfin d'elle-même et du jour qui l'éclaire,